Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Best Surprise

We were not planning on having anymore kids. I thought that I only wanted two. And at the surprise of many, I wanted them to be boys. I have been drawn to little boys my whole life. Even as a child when me and my sisters would help my mom in the nursery at church, I always wanted to play and hold the boys. My favorite cabbage patch dolls were twin boys. Now I'm glad I didn't have twin boys, but I had my 2 boys. Me and hubby were done. Or so we thought.

Last Oct, I found out I was pregnant. Now I'm not going to lie and say that the tears I shed were tears of joy. Being pregnant was such a shock to me. I actually called up my best friend crying and she laughed at me because I was freaking out. But when I said we were done having babies, I mean we were so done we got rid of all our baby items. EVERYTHING! Now that is the sure fire way to get pregnant. It took some getting used to, the idea of another one. Hunter was 5, so we were used to being able to go go go without having to worry about diaper bags and babies needing a nap. We were doing older kid things with them because we finally could. I felt like everything would come to a stop. How silly was that.

But I did get excited. You feel that baby move inside you, and you remember what it was like to hold your baby, to nurse him, the first time he smiled at you. And thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law, I had a beautiful baby shower where I got most of what I would need. But it wasn't until the moment Carter was born that I realized just how much I wanted another baby. The doctor laid him on me and I fell instantly in love. I remember wrapping my arms around him and I must have held on longer than normal because a nurse said to me - are you going to let go - I didn't even realize they were trying to take him.

When you have a baby after you thought you were done, you take nothing for granted. You know how much they change, how fast they grow. I don't want to miss a thing.

And before when I couldn't imagine having another one, now I can't imagine not.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

It's amazing how it works this way- both Noah & Carter were "surprises" and we also had not planned on having kids that close together... but it has worked out so awesome. Obviously WE can't plan it better. Gray was our 1st "planned" baby and that's been such a blessing, too, of course!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Had we not had our "surprise" baby I don't know where I'd be today. We may have waited awhile to have kids and then been unable with the problems I've had with IF. But we are now expecting #3!!!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home