Friday, September 15, 2006

Hunter's Address


Every Friday in Hunter's class is Share Day. They do this in place of Show and Tell. Last week Hunter had to share is address. Now I knew this was going to be hard for him. In preschool it took weeks and I mean WEEKS for him to memorize his address so he could get his address ice scoop for his ice cream cone. It was a MAJOR accomplishment.

So when I found out on Tuesday after school that he had to say his address on Friday, I panicked. 3 DAYS! So we got to work. Over and over we said his address. And much to my surprise he remembered his old address. He hadn't said it in months. But needless to say - he kept mixing up his new address with his old address.

I was getting SOOO frustrated with him. And a little crabby. At one point my hubby said - Robin, it's not like they are going to kick him out of kindergarten for not knowing his address. No, but he has to stand up in front of his class and say it!!!!!!

What is wrong with me. Who gets mad at a 5 year old because he can't remember his address? Why am I freaking out about an address? And what am I teaching him by getting upset when he is doing the best he can and just not getting it?

When I dropped him off at school I said - good luck on your address! And felt horrible when Hunter said - okay, I'll practice it in my head.

That was my sign. Chill out Mom! Just like I always tell my older son, do the best you can and I will never be disappointed in you. So I grabbed Hunter and hugged him and told him that.

He didn't say it right. Messed up a little and his teacher had to help him. But that's okay!! This week he has to learn a little poem. It's going much better.

Two Little Apples

Way, way up in an apple tree,
Two little apples smiled at me.
I shook that tree as hard as I could.
Down came those apples -
Ummm, they were good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home