Friday, September 01, 2006

Friendships

One of my very best friends lives 4 1/2 hours away from me. It is a very neat story, so I thought I would share it today.

When I was in 7th grade I went to church camp with one of my friends. It was the first time her church had been to this camp, so we knew no one, and everyone else had been seeing each other at camp for years. So we felt like the outsiders. And to be completely honest, no one was all that interested in being friends with the new girls. So for the first couple of days we just hung out together.

Then one afternoon we went out on the lake in a paddle boat. While out there we ran into (not literally) 2 girls (Skye and Angie) from our cabin. They were in a row boat going round and round in circles. They couldn't figure out how to get back to shore and laughing way to hard to even really try. So in the middle of the lake, me and Brenda (my friend I went with) traded boats with Skye and Angie.

We all hung out together the rest of the week. When camp was over we traded address. I'll write you every week. And at first we did. But like every friend you make at camp, we slowly lost touch. Except me and Skye. We really did continue to write each other. All the time. Thru high school we wrote 10 page letters. (by hand before every one had computers) She is exactly one day older than I am. We always thought that was so cool. And still do. She was the person I told everything too. And she told me everything. Maybe because we knew the other couldn't tell others what we said. Even if we did no one would know us. But I really didn't tell my friends about Skye. Most people didn't even know I had a "pen pal".

Our Junior year of high school I got to spend a week at her house over Christmas break. My mom drove me half way, and Skye and her mom met us. It was wonderful. We hadn't seen each other since we were 12. We had so much fun and realized just how close we really were. It wasn't just a pen pal thing.

She went away to collage and I got married young and had babies, but thru it all we stayed in touch. Sometimes there were longer periods between letters, but we remained good friends.

When she got married I went. She came to visit after Hunter was born. After the birth of her first baby I went to the baby shower. We usually get together once a year. And you would think only being 4 1/2 hours away we'd see each other more often, but everyone is busy. And with phone calls, and e-mail we talk all the time.

It sounds funny to say that you met your best friend at camp and you've never lived in the same area, but that is our story. She is the one I pour my heart out to. The one to tell me what I already know but don't want to hear. The one that thinks to pray for me and my family when it's her that is going thru hard times.

We have often said I wonder why God put us so far apart? But then it could be worse. We could have never met, and then missed out on such a wonderful friendship.

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

What an awesome story!!! I met a friend when we were each camping with our families when i was going into the 7th grade. we did the same thing....hand written letters (boy my hand would HURT)!! she came and surprised me after I graduated high school and i really haven't seen her since. we are 12 hours apart! but we try to still keep in touch.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph said you might come to CHOICES tomorrow - I hope so, I'd love to meet you!
-Ashlee

10:45 PM  
Blogger Life With All Boys said...

I am going to come tonight. I'm really looking forward to it, seeing Steph again, and meeting you!!!!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home