Thursday, August 24, 2006

3rd Grade


Yesterday was Monte's first day of 3rd grade. It was extremely hard this year. You see, he had to change schools. That was a decision that was extremely hard for me and his dad. Monte had gone to a Christian school since kindergarten. So for 3 years he was in this small school with the same kids in his class every year. He really liked his school, his friends, all the teachers. And yesterday was his first day at public school.

We moved him because Hunter is starting kindergarten this fall and tuition is very expensive. We couldn't afford for both of them to go unless I got a job. We talked about that. Should I go to work so they could have a private education, or send them to public school and I could be 100% involved. At the end of Oct. when I found out I was pregnant, that was my answer. I knew I was to stay home.

So all summer I have been praying about it. It's hard to change schools at any time, but going from what Monte was used to, to what he would deal with in a public school, I was worried about him. You see, Monte is my sensitive child. The one that worries about everything, the one that just wants to make every one happy even if that means he isn't happy.

I walked him in yesterday and met his teacher. When we found out who he had I talked to a couple of people I knew and they all said she is wonderful. And she was SO nice. She really tried to make Monte comfortable and had another boy show him around. And even this morning Monte had some more questions and wanted me to walk him in and talk to her. She was very understanding and encouraging to him.

When I picked Monte up yesterday (he can't ride the bus until our house is done. We aren't living in the right district yet) he had a smile on his face and he told me that was the most awesome class ever. He loves his teacher and she did some really cool things. Like let them put their feet up on their desks during silent reading time. Put he doesn't know anyone and so he sat by himself during lunch, and just kind of walked around during recess. The lunch thing really broke my heart. I told him he was going to have to make an effort to talk to others and that things would get better.

But inside I am crying for him. (and a little on the outside too) I sit here and have a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about him all alone in that big school not knowing a single person. In my head I know he will make friends and all will be okay. But that mama part of me just doesn't want to take him in the morning. At least he said he liked it and wanted to go back. Right?

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

HUGS to you! First of all you have a very handsome 3rd grader on your hands! My oldest sounds a lot like yours. I'm sure it will be just a matter of time before he's fitting right in with all of the other kids. When does the little guy start kindergarten?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Life With All Boys said...

Thank you! I have just been SO worried about him. Can't help it. Hunter starts Mon. We have orientation tomorrow. I'm not worried about him at all. I guess since everyone is new in kindergarten. Plus he just has a different personality.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Yes! SO glad they want to go back!!

What school does he go to? (You can email that to me privately!!)

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home