Friday, October 13, 2006

Hunter's Class

The things that Hunter is doing in kindergarten really surprises me sometimes. For starters he has homework every night. Monday thru Friday. No exceptions. They had a field trip one day and they were still sent home with homework. Every Friday is Share Day. They have a poem to learn, or one week their address or phone number, and they have to stand up and say it. So we work on that.

The kindergarten teachers had a meeting for us parents a few weeks ago to explain the new reading program that they have been doing the past 3 years. They found that a lot of kids were making it to the 3rd grade and didn't know how to read. They were really good at memorizing and it seemed as if they knew what was going on.

So starting the first week of school, all the kindergarteners were tested on their letters, upper and lower case, in any random order, and their sounds. Did you know that if a child doesn't already know their letters, upper and lower case, and their sounds, they are behind from the very beginning? I thought that was what kindergarten is for. After they are tested, they are put into "learning clubs" with others in their class that are at the same level as they are.

Monte did not go to preschool. I made sure he knew his letters (upper case) he could write his name, and he knew basic math. 1 plus 1 equals 2. But I never sat down and taught him the letter sounds. They did that in school. But we are at a different school this year. Everything is different.

I'm just glad Hunter went to preschool. And to be honest, I wasn't going to send him. But he begged and begged to go. He wanted to go to school like his big brother, and I caved. But God knew. He knew Hunter was going to need to know all that preschool taught him. Hunter is ready. He tested right where he should be. So instead of spending all our time trying to get him caught up, we are just moving on.

I just encourage everyone to call your school before kindergarten starts. Not everyone goes to preschool. And all school districts are different in their standards. Being informed is a beautiful thing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh yes- and it's hard because every school is different! My SIL taught kindy and told me that she LIKED being able to teach the kids their alphabet, numbers, writing their name so that she could show them HER way. But many other kindy classes expect that already from the kids!

I think Noah is probably on the behind side compared to some kids in his class because he didn't go to preschool, but like you said, that is what kindergarten is for!!!

I do think he is advanced regarding his imagination & creativity, and that is something that can't really be taught in school!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Randi said...

Back when we were in school, we all just started in Kindergarden. Now a days everyone starts with pre-school. But I'm glad that more schools do that now. It's never too soon to start. I'm planning on doing maybe two years of pre-school. They have a really good school here in our town.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Wow that's amazing. Things have really changed haven't they?
But homework everyday?! Really??
Thanks for the head's up on this one.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Butterfly Mama said...

Goodness homework everyday! Yikes!

Thanks for the advice, I don't think we plan to sen our son to preschool so now I know to check with the school to see what I'll be responsible for teaching him!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

They're testing kids in kindergarten?

Hmm.

No wonder some kids hate school. They take a "quiz" on the day they are supposed to have fun learning.

I once thought of reading the dictionary to my 3-year old. Silly, huh? But if kindergartens expect a lot from kids today, perhaps I should skip the dictionary and go right ahead to the encyclopedia.

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

2:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember when our son had homework packets in Kindergarten. There's still a debate as of how much homework kids need.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home