Monday, March 12, 2007

Possessions

Stephanie is asking us to share a cherished possession.

This is a picture of Monte and Hunter's baby rings. When I was pregnant with Monte a lady I worked with, Nancy, wore her baby ring and her 3 kids baby rings around her neck every day. When her son got married she bought a new chain and put his baby ring on it and gave it to her new daughter-in-law. Later when her daughter got married, I still remember the tears she shed giving up that baby ring. The last I saw her, she had her ring still and her youngest sons around her neck.

I quit work 5 days before Monte was born. After his birth all the people I worked with chipped in and bought me a nice gift. But tucked inside from Nancy alone was a gold chain with a baby ring. I too started wearing "my ring" everyday.

When I had Hunter I was still sort of close with Nancy and she added another ring for him. But we haven't talked in a while, as time will do, and I remember thinking after I had Carter that she doesn't even know I had another baby. I will buy him a baby ring to add to his brothers.

I go through spurts wearing them, right now not wearing them. I'd hate for Mr. Carter Grabby Hands to rip them off my neck. But I always wonder if I could be like Nancy. Could I give something so precious to me away.

11 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh wow- that is really special! Thanks for sharing that!!

Steph

8:43 AM  
Blogger Glass Half Full said...

So special and sweet!!!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very sweet tradition! So, the babies don't actually wear the rings? Once again, I'm glad your back!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Very neat! My mom just gave me my baby ring when Avery was born, but I didn't get one for Avery... maybe I should!

And about giving it away, I think it would me special to a daughter-in-law but probably not as special as it would be to you. :)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Life With All Boys said...

PB&J - No they don't wear the rings. Atleast not my kids. I'd be afraid they'd get it off and in the mouth it would go.....

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a cute idea! Awww...Very sweet!

1:01 PM  
Blogger onemotherslove said...

oh, now that's sweet!!!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

WOW! Amazing little possesions. Love that idea!! SO sweet. I too would have a hard time giving them away, and would go back and forth! They would be so special to me!!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jennwith4 said...

How special! I had never even heard of a baby ring before. But what a great tradition.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That is so special. I love the idea - wish I had thought of doing that. And as far as giving them up, I'm going to have a difficult time as it is to give my kids their Christmas ornaments, I can't imagine giving something this cherished!

7:02 PM  
Blogger mommy to six J's said...

That is so special and so nice. Char

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home