Friday, May 18, 2007

Tuesday afternoon I witnessed the worst storm I have ever seen. It was almost 3:00 and me and hubby were sitting in the kitchen watching the sunny sky turn an ugly shade of black. The next thing we knew the winds came out of nowhere and our new (heavy) patio furniture was airborne on the deck. We both ran out to grab it and the winds were so strong it literally blew me over. Looking back it probably wasn't the smartest thing we should have done, like maybe grab the baby and head for the basement.

For the next 15 minutes we sat in the window watching things fly, trees fall down, (like I said, maybe heading to the basement would have been a good idea) but I think we were just so dumb struck. The power had gone out instantly at the beginning of the storm along with the phones and it was time for school to get out.

My husband got in his truck and waited at the bus stop for the boys. When they were 20 minutes late he drove to the front of our subdivision to see if he could see anything. He came back and said the 2 main roads around us were closed. So I called the school, no answer, they lost power too. I called the bus barn. They had no power but did have phone. She said the school was keeping the kids until they knew it was safe to leave. Okay, atleast someone is thinking.

Well, when my kids were an hour late I called the bus barn again. She assured me everyone was okay, the driver was just having a hard time getting some of the kids home because there were so many road closed because of down trees and power lines. When my boys were close to being 2 hours late I called again. They were trying to get ahold of parents. The bus could not get thru. They were back at the school. I was on my way. But if the bus could not get here, how was I going to get to the school?

I could not believe what the roads looked like. You couldn't drive 20 feet without there being a tree blown down. Huge oak trees, roots and all, fallen. What should have taken me 2 minutes to get to the school took me 30 I had to go so far out of the way. But my kids were safe and sound at school with the bus driver and the principle and a few other children. And at that moment that's all that mattered. We got home close to 3 hours after they should have gotten off the bus.

We lost power like the rest of the city, and because of the serious damage done to the area around me, we didn't get it back until this afternoon. And at first the boys complained. But we quickly put a stop to it. It is just electricity. It doesn't matter. We were all safe. A man was killed a mile away when a tree fell on his car while he was driving in the storm. Our house was fine. We saw many with trees laying on them. A couple in our neighborhood. My cell phone worked when everyone else I talk to said theirs wouldn't. My husband's uncle got his power back in a few hours so let us borrow his generator so we lost no food from the refrigerator or deep freezer. I had spent all day Monday doing laundry so we had plenty of clean clothes. Except for it getting really cold last night the temperature was very mild so it never got too cold or too hot in the house. We had plenty of candles and D batteries for flash lights. I didn't know we were prepared for a storm of this severity, but we were.

So that's why I haven't been around this week. No power, no computer. But we did plug it in once to the generator to get some information we needed for a project Lil Monte had to turn in to school. But I never even checked my e-mail.

8 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I am so glad you are ok! My parents' and grandparents' had some damage... and I read about that man dying when the tree hit his truck. My goodness! So glad things are ok!

Steph

12:18 AM  
Blogger Josh and Deliverance said...

Wow, that sounds crazy! That must be why we are getting these high winds right now.
We have never had to deal with power outage, but if we did we would have TOO many flashlights to pick from.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! So crazy! I love storms but they can be dangerous. I'm glad you guys were prepared- I don't think we would be right now.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Happi said...

Oh my goodness, I am so glad that you guys are okay. It's a good reminder for us all that we need to be prepared at ALL times! Have a great week.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is scary, and yeah you should have been in the basement! I'm glad you both and the boys are ok!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Glass Half Full said...

I know -- that storm came out of NOWHERE!! One minute it was fine, then all of the sudden the wind blew in.....

We lost power for a few hours that day, but I heard of people out for more than a day. CRAZY!!!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Butterfly Mama said...

I'm so glad that you guys are ok. How scary.

10:51 PM  
Blogger InTheFastLane said...

I came across your blog in a round about way. But, as I read through a little bit, I realized that we must live in the same area, because your description of this storm has very familiar. Here is a link to my post on that day: http://thatslifev2.blogspot.com/2007/05/thar-she-blows.html

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home