Friday, July 13, 2007

The Family Table

When me and Monte got married this table was given to us. After almost 10 years, 3 moves, and 3 kids, we still have it. I never thought we would have it this long. A new table is always something on our buy it someday list, but something always comes up. But did you notice something? (besides it's fake wood ugliness) It only has 4 chairs. And uh, baby makes 5!!!

It is VERY important to us to sit down as a family each night and eat together. There is no TV allowed and Hunter will be the first one to turn it off. Everyone has to only say nice words to each other and mind their manners. Okay, so we aren't the Brady Bunch, and that last sentence is a stretch, but I like to aim high.

I didn't know how much I was going to love having a breakfast bar until we moved in. I think it's one of the boys favorite part of this house. They love to eat breakfast and lunch here, watch me cook, or even join in and help. You might also find it covered with coloring books, school papers, and Hunter's arts and crafts, but that's okay too. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Head on over to Lori's and check out all the other tables in her photo tag.

12 Comments:

Blogger Hyperactive Lu said...

Love your table! So intimate! Ours is big and wide and high! Not as much togetherness!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Yours looks so nice, and a great post about it, too!!

Steph

6:35 AM  
Blogger Glass Half Full said...

Oh I know, the breakfast area is such a nice place!

In our home I think 75% of the furniture in it was given to us throughout our marriage. :)

Thanks for participating.

Lori

8:45 AM  
Blogger jennifer said...

Carter will just have to sit in the high chair forever! Or maybe you'll finally get to move the table up the list YEAH!! Regardless, it's not the table that matters, it's the memories made around it.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to sit down for dinner, until we moved and never unpacked and lived in these tiny spaces where our huge table didn't fit. It's going to be a real chore getting theBeast used to sitting at the table to eat instead of walking around with food!! But we are moving Tuesday!!! And we'll be able to FINALLY UNPACK!!! And use our table again after 9 months!! I'm so excited!!!

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the time you get around to buying a new table, the old one will be too sentimental to get rid of!!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Tarrah said...

What great places for your family to come together!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth F. said...

I love your kitchen! We used to have a smaller table, it was literally falling apart! The chairs too. So, a few years ago after we got our tax return we splurged and got a new table. We had to squeeze it into our old tiny, tiny kitchen. But, when we moved it was a perfect fit! I lvoe seeing everyone's kitchens.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Totallyscrappy said...

We had a four chair set and when we had the fifth family member we went to a local discout store and bought two can-barely-tell-they-weren't-orignal chairs.
Cute post.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

You're so lucky to have a breakfast counter - that's great!

7:24 PM  
Blogger The Blakes said...

I totally understand about the want to eventually buy thing...Our table is second hand and well, it's seen better days. BUT it works and that's what counts right?? Anyway, thanks for sharing! Come check out my round table if you have the time :)

Steph

11:01 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hey - I'm new to your blog, but I have really enjoyed reading all you have to say! I'm due in December with my first son and I'm pretty sure I'm destined to only have boys b/c that is all my husband's family produces! Your life gives me a glimpse of what mine may be in 5-10 years!

Oh, and to respond to the actual topic here: My husband and I sit down to eat together at least twice a week or more. So I guess we are "brady bunch-ish" also!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home