Friday, August 17, 2007

Vacations Rock

Last week my hubby took the week off work and we had a vacation at home. It was FANTASTIC. Not only did the boys LOVE having him here all week, but SO.DID.I. We tried to do something fun everyday. The water park, the movies, twice, mini golf and go-carts, a small amusement park, and one day Dad took them to the shooting range. We were going to go to the Zoo one day, but 90 degree temps changed all our minds.

And of course we spent a lot of time just hanging out at our pool. It really doesn't get any better than that. But the big news of the week is I left Carter for 10 1/2 hours from 1:30pm to midnight when we took the boys to the amusement park. . I have never left him that long, and have only left him one other time with someone other then my hubby.
It was a hard decision to make. Not only have I never left him like that, but he is still nursing several times a day. But an hour before we were to leave I started thinking taking him wasn't such a great idea. It was 90 degrees outside, I knew he would be miserable. But to stay home and let my hubby take them didn't sit too well with me either. Hunter is still only 6 and really wanted me to be there to ride with him. Something I couldn't do whether I stayed home or took Carter. I was totally torn between two children who needed me. So in a moment of weakness I let hubby call his mom and sister.
My SIL came right over and before I had a chance to change my mind, we were off. The WHOLE way there I was regretting my decision. How could I leave my baby? What if he cried the whole time? What if he NEEDED me? But I called. A LOT. And Carter has always LOVED my SIL. She is 16 and has always been great with all 3 of my boys. Even when Monte was born and she was only 6 years old.
When we got there I knew I'd made the right decision. Not only was it HOT, but Hunter refused to ride anything with anyone but me. And we had a BLAST. At 8:00 my in-laws came over to finish the babysitting so my SIL could go to the movies with friends, (she is 16 and all) plus they wanted to see Carter too.
He did fine. He was happy. He played. He ate. He drank water from his sippy cup. And he went to bed at 10:00. ON HIS OWN. IN HIS CRIB!! WHAAAT??? And he slept there ALL night!
I thought he didn't need me. Until morning when he started nursing every hour to make up for lost time. My boobs thanked him for it too!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun time you had! That pool looks soo refreshing!!! I wanna jump in!! I almost bought the Beast that crab floaty, but got a turtle instead! I think the longest I've left theBeast is about 5 hours. Never overnight, and I'm worried that she won't sleep when I'm in the hospital having the baby!!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I don't think I have left Avery for that long still :) BUT I honestly believe that it is good for both parties... but its SO hard. Speaking of hard, you must have been hurting like crazy after not nursing for so long...
glad you had fun, and so did he. Good job!

4:06 PM  
Blogger InTheFastLane said...

While we were in California this summer, I left our two year old (not nursing, but emotionally painful) for the whole day while we went to Disneyland. It was the right move. Although there would have been some stuff he would have loved, he would have been done in a couple hours and my older two were ready to close down the place.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Glass Half Full said...

Oh I can't tell you how much I enjoy Steve when he's home on vacation. :) Glad your family had so much fun!

Lori

6:28 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth F. said...

I'm so glad that it worked out for you! I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate...did I say that enough times? being in that position of needing to leave, but not wanting to or feeling like they won't survive without you! It was like that when I went to the hospital to give birth to my 3rd, leaving #2 at home. We had never been apart, ever. I was so stressed, but it all worked out. We were all fine.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home