Thursday, July 26, 2007

I'm Just Glad We're Okay

Last night we had a horrible storm rip through our area. The thunder and lightning started around 11:30, but it wasn't until after 12:30 that I saw some rain. I went to bed only to be woken up at 2:30, rain coming down like crazy, thunder, lightning every 2-3 seconds, no power. Me and hubby got up to watch the storm for a bit when we heard the winds howling. It so reminded me of this day.

I sat in the front room watching and waiting for the basketball hoop to land on my hubby's truck, or a stray piece of wood to go flying down the street from one of the construction sights. My hubby was looking out the back window and could do nothing as he watched our new patio furniture take flight, taking our brand new umbrella with it and smacking it down on the side of the deck. My heart stopped, and I just began to pray for our safety, for those that were driving at this hour.

Although it continued to storm for some time after that, winds like that don't last long, and my hubby went out to check the damages. (at 3am) Furniture, okay. Umbrella that I loved, that was brand new (2 months old) that cost a lot of money, snapped almost completely through.

Looking out the window this morning I can see my next door neighbors grill laying on it's side. It it also very new. I know these are just things, they can be replaced. But today I am a bit sad. Hind sight is 20/20, and if I could have a do over, I'd take the umbrella down. But I didn't know it was going to storm, and who takes their umbrella down every night anyway?!!

4 Comments:

Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

It's ok to be sad that your new umbrella got destroyed, even though you KNOW it could have been soooo much worse. It's always frustrating to see something that you picked out and possibly saved for ruined.

Glad that's all that was hurt, though.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you all are ok. We had a similar thing happen. We had just bought a new patio table and chairs a couple of years ago. We didn't know you should take the umbrella out. Along comes one heckuva wind and the glasstop table is shattered. Table- destroyed. I think we used it once! Oh, I was ticked!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

We had a big storm rip through our town two years ago, uprooting dozens of trees - cars and roofs were smashed, but no one, mercifully, was hurt.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Glass Half Full said...

Glad all is well! I tell you, the clouds have been SO dark and almost black and would you believe we only get a sprinkle??? I am sick of watering the lawn!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home