Monday, December 18, 2006

Happy Birthday Hunter

This was Hunter's welcome into this world. Who knew that 4 weeks could make such a big difference. After finding out I had kidney stones that were blocking my kidney from draining I had my labor induced. My kidney was inflamed to twice it's normal size. Everyone kept telling me I was only 2 weeks early when I really knew it was 4 weeks. But being in so much pain and knowing they couldn't do anything until Hunter was born, I started to believe they must be right.

But they weren't and I was. After Hunter was born it was determined that he was 4 weeks early. And in most babies this would not make any difference. But in Hunter it did. He was big, 7lbs. 3oz. at 4 weeks early, and that is why they thought I was farther along I guess. But his lungs were not fully developed.

He spent 8 days, including his first Christmas, in the NICU. I never even got to hold him until Christmas Eve when he was 6 days old. That was also the first time I was able to nurse him. I had been pumping every 3 hours around the clock and they were giving him my milk through a feeding tube inserted into his nose. What a hole in your heart getting up in the middle of the night to pump milk not feed your baby.

But praise God it was short, but it was also a hard time. Leaving my baby in the hospital and going home was the hardest thing I have ever done. But also being torn between needing to be at the hospital with my baby or at home with my 3 year old at Christmas, was more than I thought I could handle at times.

Thank God that is all behind us now. My Hunter is SO precious to me. He gave me that tiny glimpse of what it might be like to loose a baby, and I will never take for granted his presence in my life. He was my "baby" for 5 1/2 years, and I think a part of me will always look at him like that.

Happy 6th birthday Hunter. I love you!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh my gosh, what a precious little child! Happy Birthday, Hunter!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I feel fortunate to never have experienced that with the births of my children. Moms are strong people and I think moms who endure those sorts of things are even stronger! Happy Birthday to Hunter and Happy Birth Day to you!!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

P.S. Great new profile pic, too! Adorable!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Happy Birthday Hunter! Birthdays close together in your family huh?

12:49 PM  
Blogger Alli said...

That gave me tears and goosebumps! Happy birthday to your little sweetie!

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Hunter! What a moving story. I can't imagine what you went through. How DID you decide to leave baby at hospital to go home to be with Monte? Wow! You must be one strong woman!

1:34 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Aw, happy birthday Hunter!

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home