Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A Night Of Firsts

Saturday evening me and Monte went out alone for the first time since Carter was born. And to be honest I can't remember when the last time was. Was I 8 months pregnant? Was I only 3 months along? Who knows. The point is it was long overdue. We went out to dinner and had a wonderful time. Our waitress was wonderful, and the food was amazing. My date wasn't too bad himself! The hour we were there went by too fast and it was time to go get the kids. We even sat in the parking lot for a few minutes deciding if there was somewhere else we "needed" to go.

This was also only the 3rd time we had ever left Carter, and the first time it was somewhere besides our home. He didn't do too good. We stopped and picked up McDonalds for the boys, and dropped everyone off at my MIL's house. When I left, Carter was happily eating his chicken nuggets (McDonalds, another first) and didn't even notice I was gone. After he was done eating and got cleaned up, I guess he walked down the hall, realized I was gone, and started to cry. And cry, and cry, and cry. My MIL was unable to calm him down. My SIL was unable to calm him down. And my FIL knows better then to even try. Hunter tried playing with him. It wasn't until Lil Monte picked him up and sat on the couch that Carter finally started to calm down. He laid on brother for who knows how long, making them both so sweaty my MIL got a fan.

I was told next time they are coming back to my house. Fine by me. I was trying to make it easier on my MIL, and Monte and Hunter hadn't been to Nana's in awhile. But this is why I hate to leave Carter. I never worried about Monte and Hunter when I left them. I never felt bad leaving them. Carter just has a totally different personality then his brothers. But everyone survived. Hubby and I had a wonderful dinner. Lil Monte is a fantastic babysitter. And hopefully Carter learned I WILL COME BACK!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Ooh that's so hard. I have had a hard time leaving Avery as well, but she does just fine, it's me that cries :)
Hope it gets better my dear...
(and woo hoo the boy eats chicken!!)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Ouch. The first time out is always so tough. My husband forces me to have a date night too soon after I have a baby just for his sanity. It doesn't do much for my sanity. I worry the whole time I'm gone.
Good idea to start out slow. An hour at a time. It is nice that he has his brothers to comfort him. Very sweet.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Beck said...

Poor Carter! Some kids just have SUCH a hard time with separation - and yet they still must learn how to. Hope it gets easier for him.

5:43 PM  
Blogger InTheFastLane said...

Poor baby - But it really was a short while and it is such a good thing for you to get out with the husband. He will survive and so will the in-laws. Do it again.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Toes said...

So glad you got to go out. I know it's hard when they cry, but you need to have your date nights. I am babysitting tomorrow night so my son & his wife can have a date night. Abby is almost 7 months old now and the more I watch her, the more she gets to know me and doesn't cry. I have to keep a calendar now with my 4 grand-children and babysitting schedules...but I LOVE it!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor guy! I think he's right at the peak separation anxiety age. Its also more hard on him BECAUSE you never go out. Just don't forget to take care of yourself. You can't be the best mommy you can be unless you are taken care of too!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Ann(ie) said...

Poor little guy! My little 10 month old is not like that at all. I think he'd probably hitch a ride home with the postman if he were having a party!!
Glad you got a night out.
Visiting via Steph from Adventures in babywearing.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth F. said...

I had the same issue with Xander. I could NEVER leave him, even with GRandma. But, the trick that I figured out is that HE was ok with leaving me! GRandma came and got the kids and took them to Mc D's one time and they drove our car. HE was fine! IT was a first. Familiar car. Loves Mc D's. It went well. And anytime anyone watched him it had to be on his turf. He was more comfortable with that. Good Luck! Glad you had a date night. They are so impt. We've gotten a few in lately now that Zachary is 2. :-)

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home